Hong Kong - highlights and other tips...

My third visit to Hong Kong, don't get me wrong thinking I love this city. Its just close to Korea.. That's the only reason I visited 3 times.. I'm not a big fan of cramped cities and high raise apartments.
Its just another big city with lot of tall buildings and good shopping.. If you are only transiting,  you can do one of these things or extend your stay for 1 or 2 days depends on your interest..

1. Tram up to Peak/Madame Tussauds wax museum/ Trick eye 3D museum @ Gallery - This needs half a day.

2. If you are big fan of Buddha- take half day tour to Lantau Island (Big Buddha and 10,000 Buddha temple ). This will take half of your day. I would recommend to book a half a day Lantau tour from any hotel because getting a taxi in Lantau is not easy, I hear they have only 50 taxis for the whole Island and if its a weekend you might have to wait for hours(literally) to get a Taxi. I didn't have good experience from my trips. I had to wait for 2 hrs to get taxi. Both the time, cable car was cancelled due to maintenance. I would strongly recommend to book a tour through your hotel.

3. If you like theme parks, I would recommend Disney and Ocean park. Ocean Park is also worth to see cuddly cuddly Panda ,Dolphin show, Seal show and Cable car up to other mountain for other rides. Both Disney and Ocean park needs atleast one full day. You get vegetarian(Indian) food inside both these theme parks. Tips: You can take snacks from outside. I didn't have trouble taking snacks in my backpack.

4. Shopping for souvenirs: I heard  lot about ladies market but you have to be really good in bargaining there. Because they sell 40 HKD worth key chains for 200 HKD. Instead I would recommend Wan Chai market for both electronics and souvenirs (Exit A). Causeway bay is very good for dresses and Cosmetics(SOGO exit F /Time square exit A) .

5. If you have one full day, you can take ferry to Macau as well. It is Vegas of south Asia. But if you have been to Vegas already I wouldn't recommend Macau. Macau is no where close to Vegas. Coati strip is only 5 or 6 hotels unlike Vegas strip. But it is an AWW factor for first timers to see themed hotels like Venetician. You can take ferry from HK international airport straight to Macau. You can even do baggage both ways Air-sea /Sea-Air.

6. Hong Kong has very good public transport - MTR, Bus ,Tram, Ferry. Utilize as much as you can coz its very cheap. Taxis are not bad either if you are within Hong Kong Island.

7. I used Airbnb to book for serviced apartment because hotels in HK are very small. Having a 3yr old son I need space to move around.

8. Because I stayed more than 6 days I bought prepaid SIM from airport with unlimited data which helped me use the smart phone apps from anywhere without depending on Wifi.

9. Last but not least book all your entrance tickets to any of these attractions online before going there to save time in Queue.


Smart Phone APPS: Most of the cafes/Hotels provide free WIFI.

1. Use your smart phone apps like OpenRice - to check for restaurants near you .. Its Asia people even Mcdonalds do home delivery.
2. HK Taxi fare app tells you how much it cost from point A to point B.
3. MTR Map - its very handy to plan your day with this subway App.

I don't mind going back to HK just to do shopping... lol..

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost and Found myself..

12 to Twelve - Wisdom Sparkles

My dear pre-teen..