Beginners in Korea..

When I first moved in to Korea I struggled for everything because of language barrier. I didn't have a clue what to expect before moving here. I was looking for help from basic grocery shopping like Milk, Yogurt to  visiting hospitals. Thinking about it now, I thought I must write it to help anyone moving here in future.. Just the things I felt would help.



Safe place:
Before starting, want to say Korea is very safe no doubt. Its so safe once when I got down from taxi , I kept my sons backpack at the side of the road and start to get the stroller from boot. Finally I put my son on the stroller and completely forgot about the bag. I went to my friends place and realized I left the bag at the signal 30 min back and went down there .. Surprised to see bag was still there untouched. Yes I agree there is nothing worthy in that bag but still it remained there untouched is something I cant expect it anywhere else.

Google Translator :
This is a great app for smart phones, because anything & everything is in Korean. Its amazing to use on the go.. Just copy and paste the text in the app, it translates it for you Or You can even take a picture of any Korean board/writing, it scans and translates. It also has an option for voice translate. It helps you settling-in relatively easier during early days. In my case, it helped when I didn't know how to operate the washing machine(all buttons are in Korean). I  just took picture of each button and it translated for me.

Credit Cards :
Credit cards are accepted widely without any surcharge, from small convenience store to big department stores.. you can even use it for as low as 1000 ₩(~$1 ) . I use it everywhere, I rarely use cash. Cards are even accepted at the outdoor food market, restaurants, hospitals  where not.. Some bargain street shops accept cash only. But It wouldn't be a problem until you settle down and know your place.

Taxis:
Taxis are everywhere ,its so cheap comparatively(base price is 2,800₩(~$2.5) for 3kms. During my first 6 months I used taxis everywhere with my 1yr old toddler. Its so safe and convenient with a toddler.. Having said that, I recommend you write down your destination address (and your home address) in Korean for Taxi driver to read. You might be saying the same thing(eg: Emart) ,but they may not understand because of the accent. Don't get frustrated, just be prepared. Ask your apartment reception or your Korean friend or your work colleague to write where exactly you want to go in Korean.
 
Grocery shopping:
If you have kids chances are you are looking for grocery store first thing. Small convenience stores like GS or CVS (sometimes 7/11) sells basic stuff like milk, fruits, sugar, coffee ,tea etc., If you are looking to buy lot of groceries go to Emart or home plus (Costco at big cities). They sell from cosmetics to electronics to kitchen stuff to groceries to toys to what-not. Anything you need to start your life here. Few things to remember when you buy

Milk- 우유 (uyu) - with differnet colored cap/carton - Blue indicates full cream,
                               green indicates half fat, Pink indicates Skimmed
Yogurt -  It if says plain yogurt sometimes its sweet (Plain Yogurt is
                Venilla flavoured mostly). But these days you get plain yogurt.
Veggies & fruits - Pretty much what you see what you get..
        
Emart and Home plus does home delivery - either you can order online(which is little difficult because their website is in Korean and you need to register) or you can goto the shop and select everything ,pay , pack and give your address to them, they deliver same day if you buy it before noon. Home delivery is convient if you are buying heavy stuff like rice, water bottles etc., But if you are getting meat or milk or yogurt , better to take it home with you instead of going for delivery just incase if it gets spoiled. Emart and Home plus closed on 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month.

Hospitals (병원 - Byeong-won):
Just be aware that doctors here don't speak English(very few does if you are lucky).. Don't be surprised/frustrated when you go to hospital/clinics. Big hospitals have interpreter sometimes but if you are lucky you get English speaking doctors. Try to find an English speaking docter through your friends or Facebook groups.  Some doctors do speak little bit, but you may need to slow down when you speak. During my first month A was sick for almost 3 weeks, I was lost as I couldn't understand what the doctors were saying & the medicines they were giving - everything in Korean. It was very stressful. This is not to make you panic, just be aware of the relaity.

Wifi:
South Korea has the fastast internet and wifi is just OSM. You get free wifi in most of the coffee shops/hotels/buildings..  First thing that surprised me when I landed here was that the Taxi had free wifi (it was one of those luxury taxis). A is so used to watching his favorite shows in  youtube anywhere we go( sometimes while riding car), not sure we get this speed back in Australia.

Public Transport:
Taking public transport(Bus/subway) is easy way to get around the city, it connects all the places. Subway Station names are written mostly in english or you could use the station number (eg: Haeundae-203) to know your stop. In Busan, for whole day pass is ~4000₩ (~$4) and if you are going for round-trip on the same line it cost around 2600₩(~$2.5). Korea is the safest place , You could travel any time  day or night, you are safe. You can get smart cards and top up when needed or some credit cards offer that option in the card.

KTX -speed trains which connects major cities are very comfortable way to move around the country. Dont have to depend on car or flight. This is an experiance on its own,must try it. I took KTX from Busan to Seoul(cost around ~$53 economy class), noticed it goes at 330km/hr and reach seoul in 3hrs 40mins. Amazing isnt?!..you can get more details at
http://www.letskorail.com/ebizbf/EbizBfTicketSearch.do

 
Vegetarians :
There is pretty much not much vegetarian option in Korean food, everything will have meat/sea food. But if you are a pure vegetarian you better opt for self cooking..  There are Facebook page related to finding veggie restaurents but very simple option is go for cheese pizza or sweet potato pizza.

Kakao talk:
This is widely used APP for free SMS/MMS or free calling. Lot of services you could find through this app. This is similar to watsapp or viber.

Mobile Phones providers:
I have olleh(KT) one year contract(because I know I will be here for a year) you can go for 2yr contract too which can save you a lot. I have unlimited data plan, I hardly call anyone locally as everybody uses Kakao talk or FB. You can also go for prepaid option if you are not sure you will stay here for a year. I bought my phone unlocked from a mobile shop ,so I could use it back in Australia. You can bring your own device too and just get a SIM.All you need is your passport or ARC card to get your SIM activated.

Useful websites:
Online shopping - Gmarket - http://global.gmarket.co.kr/Home/Main
Asian spices shopping- http://indianshopkorea.com/prestashop/ko/ (can get halal meat at any asian mart)
buying used stuff & other classfieds - http://koreabridge.net/
Korean tourism : http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/index.kto
Ask ajumma: http://www.askajumma.com/ 
There are so many useful Facebook groups/pages to meet other expats in your area.

Apps:
google translater
Kakao talk

I will update If I find anything I must..

Disclaimer: this is solely from my experience / knowledge. I think I covered all the area I had doubts in my early days here.











 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost and Found myself..

My dear pre-teen..

12 to Twelve - Wisdom Sparkles