Toddler Hack #558

Its been crazy last few weeks with this Melbourne weather being HOT one day and cold next few days. Hay fever in its peak this time, I thought its just us suffering since its been more than 3yrs we lived here for Spring.. but news this week says this year emergency services got 6 times more calls for Astma related issues than last yr.

DH and I have been suffering with itchy eyes & sneezing for days after we visit a park or walk anywhere close to grass. DH stopped playing his fav sport because it takes more than 2 days after the game to recover.

A fell sick 10 days back with high temp after I took him to a park on a nice sunny day evening. Next morning, he started to complain about throat pain and immediately his temp shoot up . I would vouch for world toughest/stressful job is to convince A to take medicine. When he gets temperature, he usually prefers all other methods than to take medicine.. Drink plenty of water, take shower or even have a popsicle to reduce temp..

But as it went, it helped for a while but he was getting tired and temp kept staying high. DH & I started to worry and took him to doc. Doc found out he had Viral and he advised him to take AB for 10 DAYS...Can you believe?? 10 days & 4 times EVERY DAY for a Tod who refuses even one spoon!!!  I started to worry/stress and tried to explain him, bribed him ,forced him ..nothing worked.. First day was such a fail..He kept spitting the med or vomiting when we force it. This happens with every parent, kids don't like MED... its the truth and ofcourse there are exceptions. For Kid like A , it is world toughest and most stressful job for a parent. I couldn't sleep whole night worrying about next 9 days of AB. Next day I decided to explain and try a new trick/Hack one LAST TIME before I head to my doc to get AB replaced with something else.

A agreed to try my trick when I explained him(pufff!!!)  and it WORKED for next 9 DAYS.. Today is our last day..Best part was A started asking for his dose when its time.. Such a relief I would say that I found this HACK.

Whats the hack you would ask!!!. First DH & A prepared a plan in a sheet of paper and it goes like this

Day 1: 1 2 3 4 Comments
Day 2: 1 2 3 4 Comments and so on until Day 10



A circles the dose no (1 2 3 4) everytime after he takes his AB and the comment column will have a smiley face if A drinks all his dose for the day without spitting or vomiting or crying.

The REAL HACK is for every dose,  First I suggest A to keep ice pop in his mouth which makes his tongue numb then I give  AB and again he would keep the ice pop for few more seconds.. This helped him not to taste the medicine. After he takes his dose, he would circle the dose in the plan sheet which was stuck in our fridge and end of the day he would make a smiley face under the result column. My god, this gave him ownership and responsibility I think..He felt as if he was an adult to make his own decision more than that Ice pops helped big deal not to spit or vomit.

End was happily ever after. As promised Santa is going to bring A a BIG gift this year because as he says HE WASN'T just GOOD THIS YEAR ,HE WAS AWESOME!!!! Hurray for A!!! Big Shout out for ICE POP!!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost and Found myself..

My dear pre-teen..

12 to Twelve - Wisdom Sparkles