A Letter to my boy..

Kannamma,

Remember your first flight with me when you were 11 months old, I was nervous as hell. Nevertheless, you were so playful and composed, not at all naughty or cranky. You slept most of the time and made my trip lot easier. It is always a pleasant trip when travelling with you. I must admit you are a natural traveller. Be it a new place or a new journey you are always excited and on-board.

You started sitting on your own seat (in flight) when you were 2yrs. You even refused to share your seat with me (it was aisle seat for both of us – a walkway in between us). You sat on your own, watching some cartoon and slept without a fuss. I just sat there looking at you whole night thinking you might fall down in your sleep.  

Our first trip alone to Japan with our best friends, it was such a pleasant memory you and our darling Y created except for the fact you both literally fought every day for the right side window seat. You heard it right. There are two windows in the back seat of a car and you both have one each. You guys still fought over which side one must sit. Funny times.

And N number of other flights/vacations we took every year with Ta. It wasn’t planned especially parenting/traveling is new for us, but I think it was YOU who made it look so easy for us. You are always so cool and adaptive and ready to roll...Be it a Shopping day with me or Zoo day with Ta.. You show the same excitement, which makes us feel special.

You did 2 solo trips last year with Ta.. One to Brisbane like a trial run to prepare you (more for me) for your Second long trip to India which was 10 days!!! <ok! Stop being so judgmental..Well, It was 10 long days!!>

It was first time for me and I'm clearly not a good sport like you.. ‘coz for both your trips last year, I couldn’t stop my tears flooding the car with rush of emotions while driving back from Airport<lil dramatic but just go with it> .. I was so anxious how you will be without me and lot of what ifs.. You made it all look simple with your excitement and seeing the positives in those situations. You managed so well, I was so impressed that you made it without making me feel guilty for a bit.

This time around, I know you are all set the minute we booked our tickets. You know your dates and the plan. You became all excited this time early on and started planning things for yourself (Return gifts/Snacks etc.,).

The Snack list you had in your mind , you sorted them out between your grandmas(Sweet from one grandma and Savoury from other). The gifts you decided to get from your Uncles (Perippa/Mama) <Totally Cheeky on this one> You made their life simple by giving them your ‘wanted-list’ one for each. You are so clear on what you want and you split the items evenly without repeating same toy/snack between anyone.

You also asked your grandparents to bring your favourite biscuits to Singapore (Bommai Biscuit). All this you planned it yourself <without discussing with us>, you just informed them over the phone while we just listened to you <Again who is in charge here??>  

You took every opportunity to tease me last few weeks for staying alone here while you are on vacation..  and every time you get upset with me you say  'I'm not going to pick u up from Chennai Airport!!!'.. You know exactly where to push it.. But I can be mean too so I took every opportunity to tell you the things I'm going to do without you boys around (Chocolate tour, Selfie with Chicken & shopping)..Gotcha!!!..

While driving you to Airport yesterday, you told me to Stay Safe/Safe Trip(in 10 days!!)  melted my heart.. I'm so proud of you every day and every minute Kannamma.

Now looking back I see how much I have grown up as a parent from being too protective/too anxious/too emotional to least Iam-not-crying-this-time Stage.. No, I didn't feel bad about it..Because I know you are going to have a blast on your vacation and that is exactly what I want..I'm looking forward to hear your exciting stories in 10 days!!

Love you to the Moon and back and to all other planets in the Galaxy Kannamma!!!


PS: Kannamma is the word used to address children in a dearly way in my language (Tamil). It also reminds me of the popular Tamil poem written by Bharathiyar to/for his wife Kannamma.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost and Found myself..

12 to Twelve - Wisdom Sparkles

My dear pre-teen..