Lockdown Diaries : Acknowledging our emotions..

Lot of us ignore our mental health thinking it's for the weakest and/or it's for the those with chronic issues. The truth is, many of us including me doesn't acknowledge or address the constant fear or anxiety in this pandemic. It started off somewhere in China then Italy then rest of the world..slowly in to your town and now, someone in your street or apartment or someone in your circle has it. 

Some of us can't stop thinking the symptoms of the virus even though cold and headache is common otherwise. I'm writing this because I'm strongest and bravest as a person, however I have to admit I would've hallucinated having the virus almost every week especially after my trips to grocery shops or when I have headache or blocked nose (due to freezing weather).

Constant fear or anxiety is draining and tiring.. I cover it up nicely by ignoring or distracting myself with a good episode of Netflix. Are you like me going through this? 

 What I realised is we don't have to always be strong, we can also be strong and fragile emotionally. Once we acknowledge our emotions, then we need to address it in whatever way suits. Each of us are different, I like to sleep or read an inspiring book or watch funny movie or simply do aimless browsing when I feel exhausted.

Before the pandemic, we would fake sick and take our entitled sick leave. We had dentist appointment or file Tax or car service - number of other reasons to take a day off. Since working from home , we try to paddle along even if we have other appointments or sick, we try to squeeze in those appointments and extend our workday. One of my friend is suffering from backache but he doesn't take a sick leave because he is home already. Many of us are like this, working from home is more like living at work now. We work long hours , trying to cover up the guilt that we take some time off during the day to do laundry or cooking  - by working long hours. 

Im no expert in this, but if it helps I list down my way of handling this, see it works for you.  

  • Go for walk everyday just for 15 mins.
  • Organise a virtual morning tea or virtual lunch with a friend.
  • Play with your pet dog/Children(sorry to put them together) 
  • If you are sick, take day off. Don't paddle along.
  • If you are tired or feel exhausted, acknowledge it and take a day off.
  • Read positive books or listen to podcast that makes you happy.
  • STOP googling for symptoms or signs of the Virus - you are not a DOCTOR to do self diagnosis. Have awareness of the situation but don't go crazy on it.
  • Most importantly STOP listening to the news and checking on the COVID numbers everyday especially if it makes you more anxious.
  • Looks like there wont be any travelling or holiday per se this year. So take some time off and switch off from work.
  • Finally, try to have set time for work, don't work till 8pm just because you are guilty or its convenient .. Work is going to be there next day, you cant possibly finish everything today.


I notice every Monday my 8yr old starts his 'remote learning' class with his teacher asking every kid to say how they feel by rating 1(worst) to 10(best).  Its brilliant way to learn our emotions or  feelings for the day. Today I feel 3 or 4 , little low but writing helps me to lift up, later I will go for walk to feel better. All it takes it acknowledge our emotions and address it accordingly.  

Be kind to yourself.

We are in this together.. We will get through this..

Comments

  1. It is so true Sangeetha we keep on going sometimes we just have to let ourselves acknowledge that it is ok to feel down about what we are going through and give our selves a break

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, it is OK to NOT be OK. Well written...Sujaya

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. Living and working in these crazy times means we need to acknowledge and take care of our mental and emotional health.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost and Found myself..

My dear pre-teen..

12 to Twelve - Wisdom Sparkles