Dream a new dream

// This is my entry to SBS - Emergence (non-fiction category)// 

This is a story of a girl who dreams a new dream. 

No one ever asked her what she wants to be when she grows up. I suppose a girl from a small country town have her life preplanned even before her first breath. With no surprise, her life is foretold just like any other girl in town, she would go to 2 of 3 school, college if lucky and then get married, have children, live a life for her family and die thinking she served her lives purpose. It is really a piece of cake if you follow the plan. Life is not that complicated when you have no dreams and expectation. 

Ten year old me dreamed of a future to live with my parents forever. I didn't know there was a world that existed outside. It is not like I was kept under the hood, my dad took me on an occasional trip to big cities and most of my summer holidays spent with my cousins at the country house. But for me home is where my parents live, and my future is to live with them forever. Simple right? 

PC: Google images


Fourteen year old me took her very first flight. It was fascinating to be at the airport, seeing those big flights that could fly like a bird, watching confident business people who walk in the airport like they own the place and inspired by those beautiful ladies who serve food in the flight. 

After that trip I decided to become that person who dress up to serve food for the passengers. Soon I learned they are called air hostess. I told myself I can surely do that job, how hard that could be. I serve guests at home all the time, later I learned from an unverified source that to become an air hostess I should be fluent in 2 other languages especially English. I didn't see any hope in that dream. 

Sixteen year old me got inspired by a new dance teacher at school who had a degree in dance. I told myself that I should become a dancer! it would be a breeze. Those who know me always say I do not walk, I dance to reach from A to B. I convinced myself its better than integral calculus and organic chemistry. That dream died before it lived a day, it turns out, to become a dancer your body not only have to be flexible, it also have to move to the beats. Well, I could do neither.

Eighteen year old me dreamed of running my dad's business and be that girl who dared to go places where no other girl in town ever been to. 

Twenty year old me did the next unexpected thing that was not in her life plan, to pack her bags and move aboard with a backpack full of dreams to become something. Moving away from my parents, leaving my home and saying good-bye to all my friends and familiar places was quite scary. I really did not know what I was getting myself into, my parents trusted me, and I thought maybe I can too. Till date, I am not sure why they changed my life-plan which completely changed rest of my life for good.

 Life takes you on an unexpected journey if you are willing to risk and come out of comfort zone. It teaches you lot of things that school does not teach you. Living on your own as an adult in every sense, you learn to support yourself both financially and emotionally. Ten year old me wouldn't have believed if I'd told her I would move out of my nest which is more than ten thousand miles away. 

It was just a beginning of an adventurous journey. That first move broke all my fears and barriers, I learned that the new me likes the thrill of getting lost in a chaos and rediscover herself. Perks of being a guest in other country is to have the luxury to pick and choose what you want to adapt. I understand the difference in culture, people, language yet appreciate the uniqueness and sameness that we humans possess. Our emotions are same, we cry and laugh for same thing regardless of our culture or background. 

Thirty year old me who dreamed of doing nothing but explored a new life in a new country learning a new language and making new friends from different walks of life. I learned to respect myself the way I want others to respect me. I wasn't afraid to spend time to go on a coffee date to solo trips by myself. This wholesome experience made me to dream a new dream to travel more. Not just any travel, I dreamed of doing soul travel where you feel connected to the place and empathize with the culture and people. 

Forty year old me who lived in four different countries, learned 3 other languages, traveled more than 15 other countries, and often updates her definition of home and dream. Life is not all bed of roses, but the journey made me more resilient. I thought being kind is basic, but now to realize it is the rarest thing to get in this world. All those thorn-filled path I walked, I made sure I cleaned up the path for those who are walking behind me.

Looking back, all those setbacks and disappointments in my journey are stepping stones to reach a new dream. All that travel, my constantly changing dreams and the people I came across liberated me in to a compassionate soul. 

From a drafted one-liner, I emerged into a novel with many twists and turns in every chapter and I kept adding new volumes to my life series. I realize my purpose is not to finish like a one-liner or a short story, it goes beyond. 

One thing that was consistent throughout my life is my dreams that pushed me further. I wish I could go back and tell that ten year old me about her future and the enthralling life she is going to live. I suppose she would not recognize me, she will take that journey in her own way, in her own shoes. 

I know one thing for sure she will not give up neither on her dreams or herself. She will keep dreaming a new dream.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost and Found myself..

12 to Twelve - Wisdom Sparkles